‘Apam balik’ is a thick griddle pancake filled with crushed peanuts and sugar. This street food is most commonly sold in the Southeast Asia region namely Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia as a snack.
But today I’m gonna add a little twist to the traditional favourite…by replacing the sugary peanut filling with our PYO blueberries from the fields.
- 500g self raising flour
- 500ml water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp of canola oil
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2 cups raw sugar
- blueberries (as needed)
- Dry mix: sift the flour and mix in baking powder, sugar throughly.
- To make the batter, add water in 3-4 batches, whisking well after every pour. To make sure there’s no lumps, strain the mixture.
- Add the eggs and oil. Mix well.
- Heat up a non stick pan on medium fire.
- When pan is ready, pour about 1.5 ladleful of batter into the pan.
- Wait for bubbles to appear, before adding the filling of your choice. Bluberry jam.
- Give it a few minutes before folding it into half. Press it down gently before taking it out. Continue till the batter is used up.