Because today is shared lunch for the kids.
Because it was a last minute request.
Because cheese is on sale.
Because it’s simple as.
- Cooked elbow pasta
- 150g of unsalted butter
- 150g of plain flour
- 500g of grated cheddar
- 300g of grated mozzarella
- 200g of grated parmesan
- 1L of warm milk
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celcius. Heat up a heavy based pot on medium heat, add butter and melt it. Cook it a little and add flour bit by bit, mix continuously. Let it cook a little more.
- Add milk bit by bit and stir continuously to avoid burning. Keep some milk (abt 300ml) for later.
- Slowly add the mountains of cheese into the mixture and stir continuously. The mixture will get thicker, use the leftover milk to adjust the consistency that you prefer. I like slightly runny so spreads out easily. Add mustard powder for that extra zing and adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
- Finally, tip in the cooked pasta and mix till well combined. Cook a little while more.
- Tip the mixture into a baking dish and layer it generously with grated parmesan cheese and sprinkle with finely chopped chives.
- Bake it for 15mins and broil it for 5-7mins or until cheese have melted.