Another of mum’s recipe that we tried out. Smooth custard & chunky corn kernels… Yum. What more can I say?
The ingredients listed are a rough conversion I figured out from the verbal explanation that I got from mum. She didn’t have a recipe book that I could refer to because everything was up there…she said. So here goes nothing.
- 1 pack (~300g) custard powder
- 2 cups of castor sugar
- 1 box of cream corn
- 1 box of corn kernels
- 2 tins (~700ml) of evaporated milk
- 1-2 tsp of cooking oil
- Empty the custard powder into a pot and add sugar. Mix well.
- Add evaporated milk gradually and stir the mixture until there’s no lumps.
- Using the same can of evaporated milk, measure out 4 tins of water. Continue to stir the mixture.
- Put the pot on the stove with medium low fire and stir continuously until the mixture thickens.
- Do the floating test. Get a cup of water, drop a blot of the custard mixture into it. If it rises to the surface, add the corn into the mixture. Otherwise, continue stirring till the mixture is cooked.
- Add the cooking oil and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and pour the mixture into molds and leave to cool.
4 hours later… 😉